Inclusive Hiring Practices and Diversity
CFAES Recommended Best Practices for Inclusive Excellence
- Participate in the 90-minute Inclusive Excellence Training. Must be completed every 2 years. Contact Dr. Leo Taylor, Program Manager for Faculty and Staff Affairs, to schedule a session for your search committee. Alternatively, you may attend one of his open monthly sessions. For a list of dates and to register visit our webinar page.
- Conduct a departmental demographic audit-what is the current departmental profile (Dr. Kathy Lechman or your HRP can provide the information).
- Assess the research specialties of current faculty members - are there areas that are not represented?
- Read the CFAES Faculty Hiring Guide
- View OSU HR video on best practices for inclusive excellence in hiring
- View OSU HR video on implicit bias
- Review Office of Academic Affairs Policy on Faculty Recruitment and Selection
- View OSU Faculty Resources for Recruitment and Hiring
- Review the Department's Patterns of Administration (POA) and Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure (APT)
Search Committee Resources
- Creating an Inclusive Job Description - Writing an inclusive job description may demand recruiters and hiring managers reexamine what a job description “looks like.” Here are 7 tips for doing so.
- Definitions Related to Equity and Inclusion (PDF)
- Diversity and Inclusion Language for Faculty Searches (PDF)
- Contributions to Diversity - resource guide from University of California, San Diego
- Discovery Themes Search Strategies Report (Word)
- Diversity Advocate (PDF)
- Legal Considerations of Recruiting (PDF)
- Sample Outreach Documents
- How to ‘Read’ a Job Candidate’s CV - from The Chronicle of Higher Education
- How to Interpret Reference Letters - from The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Candidate Evaluation Rubric Examples (Word)
- Interrupting Bias in the Faculty Search Process (PDF) - Common shortcuts that allow bias to interfere with equitable assessment of candidates.
- Guide to Diversifying Faculty Searches: Diversity Statements and Evaluation Rubrics - from Brown University's Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (PDF)
- What Faculty Candidates Include in Their Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statements
- Best Practice for Diverse Hiring Require Candidates to Submit a Diversity Statement
- The Use of Diversity Statements in Faculty Hiring
- Diversity Statement Examples part 1 - from University of California, San Diego's Center for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion (PDF)
- Diversity Statement Examples part 2 - from University of California, San Diego's Center for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion (PDF)
- Affirmative Action: Recruitment Basics - This training video can be accessed through BuckeyeLearn and includes content about affirmative action, equal employment opportunity, and recruiting employees.
- Special Opportunity Hiring - To incentivize and reward units for successfully recruiting of tenure-track faculty who will contribute to the diversity within the unit.
- Dual Career Hiring - To enable dual-career academic appointments with partial salary support from The Office of Academics Affairs.
- 5 Essential of Diversity Hiring (OSU Discovery Themes)
- Hiring Resources
- General Resources on Hiring including resources on Implicit Bias; Comprehensive Equity; Faculty Guidebook and other resources on creating search committees with equity and inclusion as a focus.
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium and OSU Advance
- Diversity Recruitment Resource Guide (PDF)
Links to Job Postings
- American Society of Agronomy
- Big 10 Academic Alliance - Doctoral Directory-searchable by discipline must request access
- Insight into Diversity - Magazine focused on higher education.
- Minorities in Natural Resource Conservation (MINRC)
- Minorities in Agriculture Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Education NCORE - Job site
- Diversity Trio - one site provides access to Asians in Higher Education; Blacks in Higher Education; Disabled in Higher Education; Hispanics in Higher Education; LGBT in Higher Education; Women and Higher Education; and Native Americans in Higher Education.
Group Specific Sites
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Association for Women in Science
- Committee on the Opportunities and Status of Blacks in Agricultural Economics
- Committee on Women in Agricultural Economics
- Diversity in Agronomy, Crops, Soils & Environmental Sciences - part of the American Society of Agronomy
- Entomological Society of America-Women in Entomology Network
- The Hispanic Outlook Jobs
- HBCU Connect - will need to set up account as an employer
- The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Latinos in Higher Education
- Rural Sociology Diversity Committee
- SANCAS Advancing Chicanos, Hispanics, & Native Americans in Science
- Women in Agronomy, Crops, Soils & Environmental Sciences Committee